An update and pictures of the ongoing development of an 11 MW hybrid power solution Independent Power Project (IPP), located in the Oyo State Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan. The development of the Independent Power Project was awarded to Elektron Energy. The Ground Breaking Ceremony for the Independent Power Project was done by Governor Seyi Makinde on Saturday, 11 December, 2021, and the project is estimated to be completed by Q2 2024.
The 11 MW Independent Power Project is called a hybrid power solution because it comprises 10 MW gas-fired power generation and a 1 MW PV solar solution. The ongoing Shell Gas Pipeline project will supply gas to the Oyo State Independent Power Project. The IPP, when completed, will serve as the main power source for the tribrid power system of the Light Up Oyo project. Additionally, it will serve the energy needs of various infrastructural facilities in Oyo State, which include but will not be limited to:
- The State Secretariat and Government facilities within
- 12 healthcare facilities, including the Adeoyo Maternity Teaching Hospital and the State Hospital Ring Road
- The Lekan Salami Sports Complex, Adamasingba
- The judicial complexes at Iyaganku and Ring Road
- The Oyo State House of Assembly
- A selection of schools within a defined catchment from the generation plant at the State Secretariat
- The Moniya Business District (in a bid to facilitate the expansion of the state’s economic base)
This is outlined in Governor Makinde’s speech at the groundbreaking ceremony of the Oyo State Independent Power Project.
The Oyo State Government is developing rural electrification projects and is also seeking investors in the energy sector in its bid to provide alternative power supply sources in Oyo State and to meet the energy needs of Oyo State citizens through a hybrid approach.