In keeping with his campaign promise, the Seyi Makinde led administration focused on healthcare as one of the four pillars that will bring about accelerated development in Oyo State. Although the budgetary allocation to healthcare was 5.3%, the sector enjoyed extra-budgetary allocations and interventions such as the N54 million medical mission which was suspended due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. His Excellency chose to leverage on the COVID-19 pandemic to further upgrade the healthcare system in Oyo State.
One Year in Office Achievements
A new funding structure has been implemented for the Primary Healthcare system in the state. This will fund the renovation and equipping of all Primary Healthcare Centres. Additionally, the system has been restructured.
The following projects have been executed:
- Renovating and equipping the Primary Healthcare Centre, Oranyan.
- Renovating and equipping the Primary Healthcare Centre, Aafin.
- Renovating and equipping the ALGON Comprehensive Health Centre, Eyin Grammar, Ibadan.
- Renovating and equipping the operation theatre, radiography unit and medical laboratory of Adeoyo State Hospital, Ring Road.
- Purchase of MRI 1.5 Tesla machine for LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso.
- Purchase of 10 ambulances for the Ministry of Health to be distributed to the four zones in the state.
- Collaborating with the Virology Department, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan to upgrade the laboratory to a molecular laboratory approved by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control to test for COVID-19.
- Renovating and equipping the 100-bed Infectious Disease Centre, Olodo.
- Renovating and equipping the Maternal and Child Health Centre, Saki which will serve as a 100-bed isolation centre (ongoing).
- Renovating and equipping the 40-bed isolation centre at LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso (ongoing).
- Renovating and equipping the General Hospital, Igbo Ora with a section to be used as a 40-bed isolation centre (ongoing).
- Renovating and equipping the Primary Healthcare Centre, Aawe to be used as a 24-bed isolation centre.
- Renovating and equipping Agbami Chest Centre, Jericho (ongoing).
- Purchase of 2 ambulances for COVID-19 cases.
- Setting up a Drive/Walk-Through Testing Centre at the Lekan Salami Stadium, Adamasingba, Ibadan.
- Setting up an Emergency Operations Centre with helplines (08095394000, 08095863000, 08078288999 and 08078288800) to coordinate the response to COVID-19
- Production and distribution of 1,000,000 cloth face masks in all 33 Local Government Areas.
- Distribution of palliatives to 120,000 households: 90,000 poorest of the poor households and 30,000 vulnerable households.
- Decontamination of the Oyo State Secretariat, Ibadan and other public places.