In the News this Week
- Governor Seyi Makinde introduces the Sustainable Actions for Economic Recovery (SAfER) Programme to citizens of Oyo State.
- Governor Seyi Makinde receives Mr Kabir Mohammed, MD/CE Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, on a courtesy visit.
- Governor Seyi Makinde addresses members of the NLC and TUC Unions.
More in the news for the week of August 5–11, 2023
In a statewide broadcast, Governor Seyi Makinde introduced the Sustainable Actions for Economic Recovery (SAfER) Programme to the citizens of Oyo State. Under SAfER, the Oyo State Government will distribute food relief packages to 200,000 poorest of the poor households and provide one-year health insurance for 100,000 vulnerable households. Other measures include financial support of N1 billion to youth agropreneurs and small businesses. SAfER also involves distributing additional farm inputs to 10,000 smallholder farmers and the extension of the Omituntun Bus services to cover intercity routes. Free buses to convey civil servants to and from work were increased from 9 to 12 while the government also promised the resumption of the monthly payment of gratuities to pensioners. (August 5, 2023)
15-man SAfER committee
Governor Seyi Makinde set up the Sustainable Actions for Economic Recovery (SAfER) Committee to implement the SAfER programme in Oyo State. The 15-member committee is led by Chief of Staff, Hon. Segun Ogunwuyi. The Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, Prof. Musibau Babatunde, will serve as its Secretary. (August 7, 2023)
Meeting with Unions
Governor Seyi Makinde addressed members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Unions Congress (TUC) at the State Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan. Governor Makinde assured the labour unions that his administration would continue to prioritise workers’ welfare and pledged to hold quarterly meetings with labour leaders. On their parts, the NLC and TUC leaders apologised for the unruly conduct of their members during their five-day protest when they prevented workers from accessing the secretariat and beat up some workers who refused to join the protest. (August 7, 2023)
OYS-CARES Inputs Distribution
The Oyo State Agribusiness Development Agency (OYSADA) began the distribution of farm inputs to smallholder farmers in Ogbomoso and Oke-Ogun Zones under the World Bank-assisted Oyo COVID-19 Action Recovery and Economic Stimulus (OYS-CARES) programme. The inputs were distributed to farmers residing in Ogbomoso South, Surulere, and Oriire Local Government Areas; and Oorelope, Olorunsogo and Saki East Local Government Areas. (August 7-9, 2023).
Committee Reports Submissions
Governor Seyi Makinde received reports from The Special Task Force on the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) Teaching Hospital led by Professor J. T. Arotiba; and the Emmanuel Alayande University of Education Planning and Implementation Committee led by Professor Deji Omole. Governor Makinde promised that his administration would commence the implementation of the recommendations by both committees. (August 9, 2023)
Governor Seyi Makinde received Major General Valentine Okoro, the 44th General Officer Commanding, 2 Division, Nigerian Army and his entourage on a courtesy visit. Governor Makinde expressed his gratitude to the Nigerian Army for their service to the nation and commended the 2 Division for enhancing the security situation on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and the Old Oyo National Park, as well as the entire State. (August 9, 2023)
Governor Seyi Makinde appointed the following persons with immediate effect:
- Prof. Olanrewaju Olaniyan – Vice-Chancellor of the Emmanuel Alayande University of Education
- Barrister Ayodele Adekanmbi – Director-General of the Oyo State Agency for People Living with Disabilities (PLWD)
- Mr Olajide Boladuro – Director-General of the Oyo State Gaming Board
- Bishop David Moradeyo – Chairman of the Oyo State Pilgrims Welfare Board (Christian Wing)
- Sheikh Hashim Olamide Wahab Atere – Chairman of the Oyo State Pilgrims Welfare Board (Muslim Wing)
- Rev. Femi Ibikunle – Special Assistant (Inter-Faith Affairs)
- Mr Timothy Olufemi Sunday – Executive Assistant (Disabilities Matters)
- Alhaji AbdulRasheed Adewale – Special Assistant (Islamic Affairs)
- Mr Lanre Dairo – Special Assistant (Housing & Urban Development)
- Rt. Hon. Olaniyan Babatunde David – Executive Chairman, Shooting Stars
- Mr Ayoola Olowosoke – Chairman, Agency for Adult and Non-formal Education (AANFE)
- Sheikh Akeugberu Taofeeq Akewugbagold – Chairman, Agric Credit Corporation
- Engr. Ojekunle Ezekiel – Chairman, Rural Electrification Board
- Mrs Adedotun Bolanle Olaitan – Chairperson, Broadcasting Service of Oyo State (BCOS)
- Mr Tolu Kuku – Senior Special Assistant (Domestic) (August 9, 2023)
Anthrax Sensitisation Campaign
The Oyo State Government has embarked on a sensitisation campaign for butchers and livestock dealers on the dangers of anthrax disease, as it intensifies its monitoring of abattoirs to detect and prevent the spread of the infection among animals. The Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, Barrister Olasunkanmi Olaleye, said the initiative is part of the State Government’s proactive measures to avert an anthrax outbreak in the state. He appealed to the association of butchers, cattle dealers and cattle sellers to cooperate with the government’s effort to prevent anthrax by ensuring that veterinary doctors properly examine the cattle before slaughter. Some of the places visited include Amosun Central Abattoir, Lam Adesina International Cattle Market and Goat Seller’s Market at Akinyele Local Government Area among others. (August 9, 2023)
Read past editions of the Oyo State Government Feedback Newsletter.